Monday, January 21, 2013

Binder full of snowflakes


Last night's big project was decorating the binder containing my collection of snowflake crochet patterns. The old blue cardboard binder was way too small, not to mention falling apart at the seams, so last month I'd picked up a cheap, sturdy, and very bland white vinyl replacement on sale at Fred Meyer (along with a bunch of glue for stiffening my snowflakes).

The first plan had been to slide crocheted snowflakes into the transparent view pockets of the new binder, but I couldn't figure out how to get them to stay put once they got in there. Meanwhile, my roommate Donna has put together an awesome array of die-cutting supplies, so instead I used some of her many snowflake dies to cut silver contact paper into snowflake shapes, and from there it was simply peel and stick onto the new binder.

Well, peel, and then the various arms of the snowflakes would stick to each other. But with a bit of cleverness I was able to outsmart them and get them stuck onto the binder where they belonged. The trick seemed to be to get the center of the snowflake placed right where I wanted it, while keeping the arms fluffed up and out of the way. Then I carefully stretched out each arm and pressed it into place.



No comments:

Post a Comment