Friday, January 18, 2013

Garden Thread


I'm starting out very excited about thread. Lots of thread. A big cone of Garden 10, to be exact. Here is a picture of my cone, sitting next to it's little brother, an ordinary 50g ball of the same thread.




And here it is contemplating its fate:




The second shot was taken to illustrate what I did with the spoils of my first holiday craft fair booth, where I sold (of course) crocheted snowflakes. It seemed fitting to recycle my profits back into snowflaking supplies.

I really like this Garden thread, made in Turkey out of Egyptian cotton, by a company called Nazli Gelin (which means "shy bride" in Turkish). It's very glossy and smooth, which makes it a joy to work with.

But there seems to be some variation in batches. The 50g balls I bought to test out the thread were smoother and shinier, but not quite twisted tightly enough, so the thread was a bit splitty. With the cone I've had no splitting problems, but the thread doesn't feel quite as smooth or look quite so glossy. I don't think that shiny smoothness and non-splittiness are mutually exclusive, I just think my results were the luck of the draw. But either way, it's still lovely thread to work with.

It can be bought through Universal yarn, in sizes 3, 5, and 10, in cones or balls, and in many different colors. It's also availabe from Herrschners.

No comments:

Post a Comment